09: Research Population and Sample

Hello and a very good morning!

This week’s topic is about deciding the research population and sample for my study. According to Bacon-Shonne (2015), population is the respondents of interest of the researcher and sample is the respondents selected from the population for a study. My desired target respondents would be all TESL undergraduate students from a public university in Malaysia. In choosing my respondents, I need to ensure that they are currently taking or have already taken literature subjects in their university due to the focus of my study which is learning literature. I also need to know their academic performance in literature subjects to determine whether they are successful or less successful learners. I have not decided yet on which university should I choose but I am thinking of selecting respondents from UiTM Puncak Alam since it is closer to Shah Alam. Hence, it will be easier for me to go and meet the respondents to conduct my study.

The sampling technique that I have chosen to use is stratified random sampling method. However, this is not final yet since I am still considering other more suitable sampling technique to be employed in this study. I have some more reading that I need to make in deciding the most appropriate sampling technique to be used in this study.

Reference

Bacon-Shonne, J. (2015). Introduction to Quantitative Research Methods.

 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

11: Validity and Reliability & Ethical Considerations

15: Review Chapter One, Two and Three