14: Update on Chapter Three

Greetings again!

Today I will be updating about my Chapter 3.

After much consideration, some changes have been made to improve this chapter. Previously (refer to Entry 09: Research Population and Sample), my chosen sampling technique is stratified random sampling but now it has been changed to purposive sampling. One particular reason is because I think it provides more justification to my chosen population and sample for this study. According to Eltikan, Musa and Alkassim (2016), participants in a purposive sampling method are chosen deliberately due to the qualities that they possess. Since my study aims to investigate the learning styles and strategies among successful and less successful students regarding literature learning, purposive sampling technique is used to select only those who have taken literature subjects and have obtained the results in their final literature examination. Therefore, all TESL undergraduate students except for first year students in UiTM Puncak Alam are deemed appropriate for the needs of the study.

Regarding the instruments for my study, I am happy to announce that I have found both instruments (PLSPQ and SILL questionnaire). The first one is a survey questionnaire designed by Reid (1984), Perceptual Learning Styles Preference Questionnaire (PLSPQ) and the second one will be an adapted questionnaire from Oxford (1989) which is Strategy Inventory (SILL) version 7.0 for EFL/ESL. I still need to make some adaptations to the SILL questionnaire to fit the purpose of my study. Both of these instruments will assist me in finding out the learning styles and strategies in learning literature used by successful and less successful ESL learners in UiTM Puncak Alam.

I believe that is all for my update regarding Chapter 3. Until then, see you next time!

Reference

Etikan, I., Musa, S. A., & Alkassim, R. S. (2016). Comparison of Convenience Sampling and       Purposive Sampling. American Journal of Theoretical and Applied Statistics, 5(1), 1-   4. 10.11648/j.ajtas.20160501.11

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

09: Research Population and Sample

15: Review Chapter One, Two and Three

11: Validity and Reliability & Ethical Considerations