05: My Readings So Far...

Greetings everyone!

Judging from the title itself, you can guess what I am going to write in my post this time. Yes, it will be regarding the progress of my readings that I have done so far.

First of all, when I chose to do my research which is on ‘Video Conferencing as a Platform in Teaching English as a Second Language’, I have already anticipated that there will be very limited studies being done on this topic. Despite the research on video conferencing application being very limited, I have still found a number of previous research being done that are related to the topic. For example, research on online learning and online web-based technologies for language teaching are quite closely related to video conferencing. I figured I still can refer to those past research for my literature review. This is because video conferencing is also one of the categories for online web-based tools for language teaching (Son, 2011).

One of the articles that I have found is entitled ‘Live Streaming: A New Platform for ESL Learning’ by Nurain Adila, Harwati Hashim and Melor Md Yunus (2019). This article discusses on how live streaming could become the new platform in ESL learning as it can bring many benefits to ESL learning. Some of them are that it can encourage independent learning, authentic learning experience and also can promote communication and interactivity among the learners. I found this article interesting because it explores how there are many possibilities that can be achieved via live streaming. Although this article is on live streaming, I think it is a bit similar to video conferencing as it requires real-time interaction. I would love to explore more on the possibilities of teaching English through video conferencing hence the reason why I want to conduct this research in the first place. I think it is a good start for me to find out whether educators are actually ready or not to conduct English lesson via video conferencing. I also want to find out what are the methods that they use in doing video conferencing and the kind of teaching materials that they choose to use in delivering their lesson. I believe that if educators are ready and they employ methods and use teaching materials that are suitable for language lesson via video conferencing, the possibilities stated above can be achieved. Here is the link to the article:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1nSY5r4eKJDa8p5yj88YSIvOZs0knlhiV/view?usp=sharing

Some of the other articles that I have found related to my topic are as follows:

1.      Anas, I. & Musdariah, A. (2018). Being an E-Teacher: Preparing the ESL Teacher to Teach English with Technology. Journal of English Language Teaching and Linguistics, 3(1).
2.      Chan, C., Embi, M., & Hashim, H. (2019). Primary School Teachers’ Readiness towards Heutagogy and Peeragogy. Asian Education Studies, 4, 11-21.
3.      Haron, N., Hanafi Zaid, Y. & Ibrahim, N. (2015). E-Learning as a Platform to Learn English among ESL Learners: Benefits and Barriers.
4.      Memic-Fisic, I. & Bijedic, N. (2017). Teaching Materials for ESL Distance Learning. Explorations in English Language and Linguistics, 5(1). DOI:10.2478./exell-2018-0003
5.     Mubaslat, M. (2012). The Impact of English Interactive Online on the Students’ Achievement in English Language in Jordan.
6.  Son, J.-B. (2011). Online Tools for Language Teaching. Retrieved April 9, 2020, from http://www.tesl-ej.org/wordpress/issues/volume15/ej57/ej57int/
7.    Yanti, H., Setiawan, A., Nurahabibah. & Yannuar. (2018). Teachers’ Perception about the Use of E-Learning/Edmodo in Educational Activities. IOP Conference Series: Materials Science and Engineering. 306.012055.10.1088/1757-899X/306/1/012055.

I will write more about the other articles in my next entry. Until then, stay safe and wash your hands.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

09: Research Population and Sample

15: Review Chapter One, Two and Three

11: Validity and Reliability & Ethical Considerations