01: Deciding on a Research Topic




On 2nd of March, we had our first research methodology class where we were introduced to the course. We were informed that by the end of the semester, we will need to submit a research proposal related to our field. Hence, we were provided details on how to conduct a research. Below are several steps in doing a research:

Steps in doing Research
1.      Determine topic of interest.
2.      Specify research problems.
3.      Specify research questions/ objectives/ hypothesis.
4.      Literature review.
5.      Determine methodology.
6.      Collect data.
7.      Analyse data.
8.      Report findings.

First thing to do is, I need to determine my topic of interest. There are some topics related to ESL teaching and learning that I am interested in (the use of technology in classroom, teaching of literature or teaching of grammar). Since I still cannot decide on which topic I want to focus on, I read some articles to help me in getting a clearer vision on what I want to do. Here is the list of articles that I have found:



Though most of the articles are quite entertaining and the issues are worth to be explored more, I still need to make sure that my research is feasible and accessible for me to conduct. With that said, I will need to take careful consideration on what kind of topic that I want to do.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

09: Research Population and Sample

11: Validity and Reliability & Ethical Considerations

15: Review Chapter One, Two and Three